About Me

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I have 20 years in health care and health management. My career has taken me from health and wellness to career management and workforce development. My passions are helping people in the areas of wellness, healthy living, and challenging others to be the best version of themselves. Wellness and food are dichotomies if ever there was one. Or maybe not. If we eat in moderation, we can pretty much eat anything. I eat healthy most of the time but there are three things for which I do not compromise. 1) Butter 2) Salad dressing 3) Bread There are no substitutes for these. You must eat the good stuff. Just watch how much. And of course, exercise is important. So my advice to all those exercise and diet fanatics: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.

Current Status

CURRENT STATUS

I made some sweet potato biscuits, I'll share that recipe with you next and fun ways to use them. My Pizzelle blog will launch this weekend complete with videos (January 28, 2011).






Monday, August 9, 2010

Attempt #1 Bouncing Puck Biscuit

I am on a quest to really and truly find the perfect biscuit. I know it is out there. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Why would a girl from New York even want to attempt such a feat? It may be because I am married to a southern gentleman who remembers Grannies biscuits. Legend has it that Granny would wake up in the morning before the sun ever started to shine and make the most delicious biscuits. I wonder if it had something to do with the moon and the tides, or maybe that Grannie didn't use a recipe, no stress, just throw them together and it works like a charm-- every time. Maybe that's what I have to do to get that perfect biscuit? But why were they so good? Most southerners that I've spoken to (And I've asked a lot of them) say that hot out of the oven (as if there was any other way to eat a biscuit) that they break apart just barely and that they could almost crumble in your hand. Slap a nice pad of real butter on it and you'll have a piece of heaven. Some like a nice crust on the top, some like the fluffiness. Whatever it may be on what they have experienced. I'm interested in finding the secret.
I recently came across an article I saved from March 2008, Atlanta Journal-Constitution article on how Scott Peacock, former chef at the Watershed in Decatur, GA makes his buttermilk biscuits. Wanting to do this for a while, I couldn't wait for the heat to subside in Atlanta. The thought of turning the oven up to 500 degrees doesn't quite make sense but my drive to achieve success is pushing me. I am going to make my first attempt. I wake up early to make some cranberry scones to send to my husband's office. I prep the night before by putting together the dry ingredients so that I don't have to fuss as much in the morning. I love baking and I love scones but it's great to bake and send them off. This way I can eat only one and not feel the guilt of eating too many. Brian brings the rest to the office and they appreciate it. They turn out great every time I make them, light, fluffy, and just the right sweetness for a Monday morning. I have more time before he goes off to work so I attempt Scott's recipe. Let me go through my checklist:
  • Cold Lard-Check
  • Real Buttermilk-Check
  • Homemade baking powder-check
  • White Lily flour-check
The recipe wasn't really that hard. Two things Scott tells me to remember: lard must be cold and you must pierce the dough with a fork at 1/2 inch intervals.
I pop them in the oven and in 10 minutes I have awesome-looking biscuits. I brush with butter, put a few in the basket with the scones, some homemade strawberry jelly, and fresh-cut butter, and send them off with my husband. Can you say RRRRubbber Biscuit? Yes, now I am embarrassed that I sent these bouncing pucks with him. I frantically call him to make sure that he explains that this is a project and that I will eventually find the right one. My next attempt will be with plain old unbleached flour. Now, what do I do with the rest of the biscuits? Any ideas?
#Biscuit #BiscuitMastery

No comments:

Post a Comment